Monday, August 2, 2010

The Windy City

The Windy City did not disappoint.  Temps were in the 30s and 40s with winds gusting to 30 mph.  Not the best touring weather, and definately made us cross outdoor activities off the list!

The girls and I took a trip to Chicago to visit Sean over Easter vacation. It was a grueling 12 hour drive (have I mentioned how much I despise driving now?) E kept me company, K managed to sleep almost the entire drive.

When we arrived in Chicago it was well after dark. The traffic and tollways were confusing. It seemed to me that only every third or fourth street actually had a street sign. I found the hotel easily, but it took well over an hour to figure out how to get to the hospital to pick up Sean. First, I went the wrong way. Then we turned around and tried to take the Mapquest shortcut. When that didn't work we started over and took what seemed to be the most confusing route, but it actually got us to the hospital. Turns out we had been right where we needed to be on the second attempt, but the neighborhood was so scary that I didn't drive down the road. There is not a single VA hospital sign until you reach the gates.

After my driving fiascos, we tried to take the metro as much as possible the remainder of the weekend, but there were a few places where Sean insisted I drive instead, mainly the Bulls and White Sox games. YIKES!! Traffic was awful! I didn 't know where I was or where I was going. I literally cried and drove down the freeway. And I had the blind man next to me trying to give me directions.
Sean and girls at Shedd Aquarium
Girls at the White Sox game
Sean and Melissa at Lake Michigan
With the Luvabulls before the Bulls game
We visited the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Navy Pier, went to a Bulls game and a White Sox game. 
All in all it was a great trip and we were so happy to see him. And then it was Sunday and we had to drop Sean off at the hospital. It broke my heart to leave again and of course I cried. It was reassuring that he was enjoying his stay and he was feeling more independent, but I was still leaving him behind.

No comments: